Thursday, August 16, 2012

Kilawin na Isaw


Another one of  my cousin Mark's pulutan specialties---Kilawin na Isaw (pork intestines).  An uncle butchered a pig during a family reunion, and Mark was assigned to take care of the pulutan.  I never had Kilawin na Isaw in a long, long time.  For obvious reasons, I prefer not to eat this dish when I don't know who prepared it.  What my brother said years ago is forever etched in my mind---baka galing sa Araneta Avenue yan! (LOL)  

This was a hit to all beer drinkers in the family including yours truly.  My mom and an aunt needed to be reminded of their uric acid levels.

For the adventurous, here's how Mark prepared this kilawin:
  • Pork large intestines were cleaned with lime and salt to eliminate odor and thoroughly washed
  • Then boiled in ginger and lemongrass for 10-15 minutes, drained and washed in cold water
  • Boiled again with ginger, salt and pepper until pork intestines were tender
  • Sliced (bite-size) and mixed with onions, ginger, unripe tomatoes, coconut cream and coconut vinegar (black beans, pineapple chunks are optional)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Hot chili peppers (optional)
  • Garnished with crushed salted peanuts and raisins (adding raisins was my idea :p)
  • Chilled
If you're not into pork intestines, you can use pig's ears and cheeks.:p

 

Join foodies @ Food Friday and Food Trip Friday

10 comments:

Kim, USA said...

I have not try Kilawin na isaw either. Mas gusto ko fried ^_^ with maanghang na suka ^_^


Kim,USA

Tito Eric said...

A very popular cooking style here in Bohol -- kilawin!

Queen of Wishful Shrinking said...

I didn't know there's such a pulutan! Mukhang masarap, hehehe. Family secret ba ang recipe? hihihi

Dexie said...

I love the goat kilawen but I've never had isaw kilawen. That looks delicious.

Jenn said...

This is something new to me, I wanna taste it! :)

Hopping from Food Friday and Food Trip Friday.

Oggi said...

Kilawen is a favorite but I have not prepared one with isaw. This is a new dish for me to try. Thanks for the recipe. I'll let you know if I like it [my family sure will not].:)

Tetcha said...

That is something I have yet to try. I prefer to have pig's cheeks and ears for my kilawin, though.

Jessica Cassidy said...

yummy kilawin Sis :-) I never try that when I was in the Philippines last month :-) Dropping by from FF

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

I'm not a fan of Kilawin of any kind,but I'm sure this is popular for drinkers.

maiylah said...

oh, ibang klaseng pulutan to ah! would love to try that..with lots of chili!

appreciate much your sharing over at Food Friday, LM