Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tiger's Tail

 Sansevieria trifasciata, Tiger's Tail, Mother-in-law's Tongue

I have known this plant since childhood.  It was abundant in my elementary school yard---we called it Tiger's Tail.  But I have never seen it with flowers before.  Sansevieria trifasciata is a native to tropical West Africa, an evergreen herbaceous perennial plant forming dense stands.  It is also commonly known as Snake Plant because of the shape of its leaves or Mother-in-law's Tongue because of their sharpness.


In China and Japan, it is called Tiger's Tail Orchid; in Brazil, it is commonly known as espada-de-sao-jorge (sword of Saint George).  In Africa, the plant is used as a protective charm against evil or bewitchment.  The leaves are also used for fiber production, the sap has antiseptic qualities, and the leaves are used as bandages in traditional first aid.  This plant makes a good houseplant--it is believed to act as a good air purifier.  Some reports seem to suggest that Sansevieria produces oxygen at night, which makes it suitable to be placed in the bedroom.

I found these Tiger's Tails at a resort in Montalban, Rizal.



Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed.  Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

 
 

16 comments:

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Wow! Ive never seen these in flower before. They are common house plants here, but they are prized for their decorative foliage. I suppose they require a tropical climate to flower.

Thanks for participating in Floral Friday Fotos, Miranda!

Sallie (FullTime-Life.com said...

Beautiful plant. But I'm a mother-in-law several times over and I'm as sweet as I can be ;>)!

CameraCruise said...

Beautiful!
I've never seen it before.
Thanks for sharing.

Mildred said...

Wonderful series of this gorgeous plant!
Love the first shot!
Thanks for sharing;o)

***
Hope you are having a fabulous week****

Libby said...

I have seen these plants but I did not know they bloomed :) I like your quote too.

Herding Cats said...

My mother used to have a Mother-in-Law's tongue plant, but sadly it never flowered.

Great pictures

Vores have said...

Great pictures you show.
Wishing you a good weekend.
Hanne Bente / hbt.finus.dk

Ebie said...

I have seen this plant before, but not when blooming. These flowers are pretty!

Modern Mom said...

First time I've seen this. They're beautiful.

Jasmine

Angelika Poe said...

I´ve never seen these, but it is wonderfull...

Carletta said...

I too have known this plant. My Dad always had one or two of the plants. I have never seen it with flowers and didn't know it bloomed. Thanks so much for sharing it.
Lovely shots!!

Anonymous said...

I've seem them but not so many blooms at any given time. Interesting to know the other names, particularly Tiger's Tail.

Jama said...

I've seen the bloom only once here, quiet a rare moment when it blooms!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your lovely pictures! Great shots!!
Very interesting details.

eden said...

I have Mother's in law tongue but I never seen it flower. Beautiful photos.

SandyCarlson said...

Very beautful. You are a great photographe.