Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ringworm Bush, Akapulko/Today's Flowers #32


Encountered this flower at the forest in Tayabas, Quezon province.  Locals call it Akapulko and it's known to have medicinal uses, according to a herbal site. Other names are ringworm bush, candle bush [Casia alata Linn., Senna alata].  It is an erect, shrubby legume found throughout the Philippines. It grows up to 6 feet tall, with dark green compound leaves. It has yellow-orange flowers that produce on average 50-60 small, triangular seeds. The leaves, flowers and seeds have very effective fungicidal properties for treating ringworm and other fungal infections of the skin.  Its laxative effect, due to its anthraquinone content, is also well proven.




Posted for Today's Flowers

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the candle bush! One sprang up in my front yard last year. A bird's gift, I think!:) It's found in the wild here too! Nice pictures! And thanks for your visit!

eileeninmd said...

What a pretty flower and great for the medicinal use. Have wonderful Sunday!

January Zelene said...

pretty and useful flower..

thanks for sharing..

Today’s Flower - Roses

Nance said...

Thanks for the info on this candle bush. I am also from the Philippines (but now lives in the US) and I've never heard of this plant...so interesting. salamat for sharing!

Liz said...

I've seen them around but I never knew the name. Pretty flowers.

Thanks for visiting my entry.

NatureFootstep said...

looks a little like a plant I saw in Costa Rica. Its a beauty. I like it.

JunieRose2005 said...

This is a plant I don't know-and very pretty and interesting!


Junie

Laerte Pupo said...

beautiful yellow flower.
Thanks for participation.

Ever Green Tree said...

Beautiful n Interesting! This is the first for me.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Ganda naman ng name, I love the color too.

Lina Gustina said...

I've ever seen this flower before...and now I know how to call it :)

http://www.womenandperspectives.com/2011/03/red-sunflower.html

Bradley Hsi said...

How interesting, no wonder for its not so attractive name. thanks for sharing.

Carletta said...

It's a lovely yellow!
Interesting in all its uses.

Thanks for stopping by.