Tuesday, December 11, 2012

V/ABC Wednesday


I have always been attracted to vines, especially flowering vines.  I like the naturalness of vines---their spontaneous search of sunlight, and instinctive clinging and twining for support.  A vine generally is referred to any plant with a growth habit of trailing, climbing, stems or runners.  The flowering vine above is called Violet Allamanda or Allamanda blanchetii, a beautiful but poisonous plant.


Considered a noxious weed, Cadena de Amor, is a climbing, perennial vine wildly crafted in the Philippines. A few years ago, a Metro Manila Chairman planted cadena de amor at the center islands of EDSA and C5, two major thoroughfares, to enhance the greening of the metro and in an effort to reduce carbon dioxide. Dubbed as vertical gardens, the pink flowers somehow cheered up the drab roads. But the invasive vines eventually choked up trellises and lamp posts, and the streets looked like a forest. 


I love the wildness of vines.  They add dimension to this self-portrait of a Davao artist, Kublai Millan.  And these hanging vines, probably strangler figs---overwhelm a balete/banyan tree in a forest park.
 

 Linking to ABC Wednesday

14 comments:

Rajesh said...

Beautiful shots of the place. The flowers are pretty.

joy said...

Nice flowering vibes kabayan:)

joy said...

I mean vines:)

Roger Owen Green said...

I like flowering vibes AND vines, myself.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gerald (SK14) said...

I like that sculpture.

Leslie: said...

These are a visual delight!

Leslie
abcw team

Carver said...

Wonderful shots for V day. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Lmkazmierczak said...

Ordinary Words...Vines make for a good subject, there are so many different kinds♫♪

Hazel said...

I'll have a street that looks like a forest anytime than all the drab and the fumes. Flowering vines are just lovely. Wish I could have some in my garden when I retire.

Laloofah said...

I love Vines too, and think they make such beautiful photos - yours proves that I'm right! :-) Your second to last photo is my favorite, that is so cool!

What a shame that the beautiful Cadena de Amor is so invasive, because it sure is pretty and clearly has a lot of Vitality!

Joy said...

One of nature's success stories, invasive but pretty, and now I learn here poisonous!

Chubskulit Rose said...

We have a lot of those chain of love or cadena de amor by the seashore in Donsol. Makes me miss my hometown even more.

V is for..
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Hayu Maselli said...

beautiful Banyan tree.
miss my hometown too.
nice photos

magiceye said...

Beautiful takes on the theme!