Tuesday, May 1, 2012

P/ABC Wednesday


P is for Papaya

The papaya (also known as melon tree, papaw, pawpaw) is a fruit of the plant Carica Papaya.  It is found throughout the Philippines but a native to the tropics of the Americas, and was first cultivated in Mexico.  It is a small, erect, usually unbranched, fast-growing tree growing 3 to 6 meters high.

Ripe papaya is a popular Filipino breakfast fruit; lemon juice is often squeezed over the flesh.  It also makes an excellent ingredient for fruit salad.  The fruit is crunchy when still not fully ripe---I dip it in either salt or vinegar, one of my favorite snacks.  Green fruit is used in making Achara (pickles), and an essential ingredient in Tinola, a Filipino chicken soup.  Green papaya fruit  and the tree's latex are rich in papain, a protease used in tenderizing meat.  Its ability to break down tough meat fibers was used for thousand of years by indigenous Americans.  It is now included as a component in powdered meat tenderizers.

papaya flowers
Papaya fruit has a laxative effect and a rich source of nutrients such as calcium, iron, Vitamins A, B and C and dietary fiber.  It has also many uses in folk medicine---from rheumatism to warts, dyspepsia, bronchitis, centipede bites to asthma.  Preliminary medical research has confirmed the potential contraceptive and abortifacient capability of papaya; seeds might contain antibacterial properties and may have effects  in toxicity-induced kidney failure and liver cancer cells. Papaya is also used in cosmetics and a popular whitening, anti-acne soap and shampoo.

Linking to ABC Wednesday

17 comments:

photowannabe said...

I didn't know that papaya could be eaten green. I didn't know it was called pawpaw either.
That's what I like about ABC Wednesday. There are so many things to learn.

Reader Wil said...

Thank you for this informative post.
We had papaya in our garden in Indonesia and I remember that we often had a delicious fruitsalad made of papaya also with some lemon juice over it.Now my daughter in Australia has many pawpaw trees in her garden.
Have a great week.
Wil, ABC Team.

EG CameraGirl said...

I am a fan of papayas but have never seen them growing. How lucky you are to live where they grow!

Ann said...

I like the word pawpaw--I must try these one day. Thanks for all the info
Ann

Photo Cache said...

shredded green papaya is also used (instead of squash) in making okoy.

lately i've been developing a taste for the ripe papaya (since costa rica trip).

Carver said...

Great word for P and I like the shot. Carver, ABC-Wed. Team

Barbara said...

Thanks for this post, I have learnt something today!

Jane and Chris said...

I think I only had this abroad, though it is for sale here....must try it.
Jane x

Roger Owen Green said...

I have had some; the juice is delicious!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kim, USA said...

I missed this fruit the sweet Sulu papaya. Can't wait to eat this fruit. ^_^

Kim,USA

Jama said...

I'm not a big fan of fresh papaya but I love the pickle papaya!

Black Jack's Carol said...

Fresh papaya is one of our favourite desserts, but i realized from your post that I didn't know very much about it. Thank you for the interesting info and wonderful photograph too!

MaR said...

What a delicious choice for P :) Love your interesting post and pictures!

Chubskulit Rose said...

I miss Papaya, di masarap yung nabibili dito.

P is for Pizzaroni
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Tetcha said...

I love eating ripe papayas, especially when they're sweet!

Carola said...

The first shot is outstanding! Good to know more about this fruit.

Míriam Luiza said...

Aqui no Brasil comemos essa fruta madura pura, em saladas de frutas, sorvetes e batido com leite ou laranja. Também comemos verde em doces e também cozidos com sal e temperados com ervas, que chamamos quibebe. Estou te seguindo, Gosto do seu blog! É alegre, aconchegante, informativo, e apesar de não ter muito tempo para comentar, você sempre me visita e comenta. Obrigada pelo carinho e consideração. Se quiser me seguir também, vou ficar feliz.