Tuesday, June 5, 2012

U/ABC Wednesday

Kulapnit Cave in Caramoan

U is for Underground

Exploring the underground is one of the activities I do with my friends when we're on vacation.  Caving or spelunking is often undertaken for recreation, which to my mom, is insane! Caves  are one of the last unexplored places on earth,  and some of the environments are very fragile.  I don't normally like enclosed spaces but spelunking is one activity where I conquer my fear.  Sure, I think about earthquakes and cave-in all the time when I'm underground but it's a small price I have to pay for an innate need to explore.  Living a relatively safe life, I guess I enjoy the element of danger exploring the underground---climbing or crawling is often necessary, squeezing through chasms and low tunnels, rappelling, swimming, negotiating steep or slippery passages make spelunking an exciting sport and physical activity.

Kwebang Lampas in Pagbilao
Spelunking is not necessarily a high-risk sport---as in all physical sports, knowing one's limitations is key.  Safe caving tips here.
our "lightman" in Kulapnit Cave
Linking to ABC Wednesday

13 comments:

Carver said...

Fascinating look at underground exploration. Carver, ABC-Wed. Team

Photo Cache said...

Claustrophobia sets in when I think of this. I've done a few caving activities, but nothing where one is on one's four crawling :)

Roger Owen Green said...

makes me qUeasy!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Annie said...

I've only been in one cave and it was a little scary. I love your photos and learning more about spelunking.

Ann said...

Truly beautiful spaces to explore, but I don't think I could handle it.


Ann

Chubskulit Rose said...

It's been years since I last set foot in an underground cave.

Up and Down

Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Hazel said...

Kulapnit cave looks awesome. Haven't done spelunking in ages.

Self Sagacity said...

Awesome photos. The caves are always a mystery to me. We visited some in VN, they were gorgeous too.

VioletSky said...

i wish I didn't have claustrophobia, because spelunking sounds like an enjoyable activity.

Black Jack's Carol said...

I really love these photographs. They make me want to explore caves at least once, as a unique experience.

Kranky Granny said...

Interesting post and a very original take on the letter U.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating hobby you have!

Linnea said...

That looks like a lot of fun! There's a whole new world down there, isn't there! Thanks for stopping by at my "U" post.