Thursday, June 14, 2012

Singapore Daisy

Singapore Daisy, Sphagneticola trilobata, Wedelia lobata

Found this plant/flower growing wildly at the beach in Negros.  I didn't know the name until recently when I saw it as a ground-cover at a riverbank park.  The park caretaker told me it's called Singapore Daisy, and it is considered a weed.  A South American native,  it is now common in the tropical and sub-tropical areas.  Singapore Daisy is deliberately planted as roadside and embankment stabilizer.  It forms dense infestations along undisturbed edges of rainforests and coastal areas.

Linking to Floral Friday Foto

A weed is but an unloved flower. ~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

16 comments:

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

For a weed, it's pretty!

We have a Scotch Broom in our yard that is considered a weed in SW USA.

lotusleaf said...

It is planted here too. I didn't know the name. Thanks for the info.

A wondering star said...

A lovely yellow little useful plant! It was new for me!
Thanks for sharing

Birgitta said...

So happy and beautiful colors on your blog! I like your Singapore Daisy :)

NatureFootstep said...

don´t think I have seen this before. It looks nice.

Hanne Bente said...

Beautiful flower viewing. Wishing you a good weekend :) Hanne Bente / hbt.finus.dk

Libby said...

Cute little weed with a fun name :)

Francisca said...

It's pretty, this Singapore Daisy, and if it's a hardy weed, I wonder why I haven't seen it before.

Crafty Green Poet said...

it's a pretty flower!

Karin M. said...

This is such a pretty little flower...
Best regards, Karin

Halcyon said...

Simple and bright. Cute flower! :)

bettyl said...

So petite and colorful!

guild-rez said...

Very often lovely plants are invasive as well!
Very nice picture!

NixBlog said...

Beautiful shot, Miranda!

Thank you for participating in Floral Friday Fotos!

Rita said...

I have never liked the tern "Weed" I just see them as pesky plants in need of attention. This one just happens to be more lovely than some.

☆•.¸.Mildred.¸.•☆ said...

Lovely shot!
There are so many wonderful weeds in nature! Sometimes I bring some of them and plant them in my garden! And sometimes I've got great results!
Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment;o)

***
Have a nice weekend****