Saturday, July 2, 2011

Kamantigue/Today's Flowers #43

@ mirandablue
Kamantigue, Touch Me Not, Rose balsam

Impatiens balsamina
Poultice of kamantigue flowers is known to treat warts, snake bites, fingernail inflammation and athlete's foot.  Extract from mature seeds/fruits is also effective as botanical fungicide against Phytophthora palmivora, an organism causing disease in durian.  
@ mirandablue
I know that if odour were visible, as colour is,
I'd see the summer garden in rainbow clouds.
 
~ Robert Bridges

My contribution to Today's Flowers


12 comments:

Photo Cache said...

Oh I have fond memories of this plant/bloom. This has a pod right?

Kamantigue ba ito sa Tagalog?

I'm giving away some postcards for my 5th anniversary. Come and see.

Sivinden said...

A beautiful flower = summer:)

iTravel said...

ay yan ba yon..anyway, thanks for being one of my top 10 commenters last month.

LivingSoAbundantly said...

I like how you included the medicinal properties of the plant! What a beautiful color it is!

Living So Abundantly: New meme this coming Thursday, July 7, 2011, Give Back Thursday--come join the fun!

EG CameraGirl said...

Such a lovely colour!

Modern Mom said...

I see them around but I never knew the name. Thanks for sharing.


My entry.

April said...

A gorgeous red. Also, interesting medicinal uses.

eden said...

Beautiful impatiens. Great shots.

DeniseinVA said...

Beautiful and healing, what a great combination.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Impatience is a flower we used to grow when we had our house in Oregon -- lovely picture -- lovely color!

NatureFootstep said...

this looks different from the one I know. Great to see.

Unknown said...

I have brought this seeds from the philippines.and its perenials.just grow every year.i got only have light pink but now lst year i was surprise to see the red flower...