Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nostalgia: Time travel

@ mirandablue
When I am having a bad hair day, one look at this picture and I chuckle.  I love this frozen psychedelic time travel that takes one back to the era of the beat generation.  Rest assured this group does not belong to a cult espousing free love and alternative states of consciousness.These hippies were not high on anything except hair-spray.  The flower power get-up was the theme of our company's Christmas party in 1999.  


You'd be surprised how difficult it was to look this cheap hip. It was a team effort, really. Tita M and Mel were in charge of charol bags---I don't know where they got the bags and outfits, while I scoured every beauty parlor in Guadalupe looking for wigs, begging a few Miss Gay contestants to lend me their wigs for a night. Didn't know about ukay-ukay back in the day, and I had no idea where to get retro outfits. (If only my mother kept her 60's wardrobe complete with polka-dot vinyl bags and winklepicker shoes...sigh!)


Well, it took me 3 weekends to finally find the perfect orange outfit at Corso Marconi.  To complete the look, I wore an afro wig [that itched like crazy] and a pair of clogs that felt like I was pulling a whole trunk of acacia under my feet.  Varicose veins screaming in protest but I pulled it off like a true-blue hippie fashionista.  By 3 am, we were all dancing barefoot sans wigs.  It was liberating!


We were admiring each other's brilliant creations [sic] when somebody asked, "What happened to Lola Cristy? Why is she wearing a curtain?"  Obviously, Lola C is the one in florals, a testimony that she grew up in the 60's.


This was one Christmas party that I will always remember---a fun, delightful night among friends and colleagues. It was a poolside party held on the roof top of a building in Ortigas Center.  Marte and I won the "star of the night" award with a cash prize of one thousand pesos each.  It didn't cover the cost of my outfit but at least I have this photo to look at when my spirit needs a lift.  



9 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, way back 1999.

Lina Gustina said...

I like those wig, orange pants and handbag...
It seemed so fun Christmas party; at least you're the winner that night :)


http://www.womenandperspectives.com/2010/11/nostalgia-three-months-in-village.html

mommy Orkid Belle said...

You guys are looking hip, that's for sure! :) Great photo! Visiting!

Adin B

Unknown said...

Haha type ko yong looks nyo hahaha.

Happy nostalgic..mine is up now.Mom's Place

Verna Luga said...

ahhahha, it was easier then if ukay-ukay during that time is as accessible as now .... pero honest you captured the spirit well ....

so cute!
Nostalgia Here

Clarissa said...

Gosh, I love the photo so much!Parang mapapa "Let's Groove"( ng earth,wind&fire) ako!^_^

Chubskulit Rose said...

Hahahahaa cult ka dyan, am laughing my butt off here sis with your description (cult and acacia) lol.. In fairness, those are some beautiful colors.

Thank you for making my Thanksgiving completely happy lol..

Mel_Cole said...

Hi there, sorry for my late visit sis. Hmm, and bright nang colors nyo ha. Rainbow people. :) Nice to see fun pictures of your friends together. Nakakamiss ang mga times na yan.

My Nostalgia post

Dhemz said...

hahhaa...what a fun story....:) I love the get up..very colorful...thanks for sharing Ms.L...great to be here..sensya at nahuli sa pila....:)